To keep myself excited about the trip and avoid thinking about the budget, I've been putting together some rough outlines of potential itineraries for each of the cities we're going to visit on our Italy trip! Here is the one for Rome - we'll arrive on a Thursday, and then leave for Siena on Saturday late morning-ish.
- arrive in Rome in the morning to early afternoon, depending on which flight we actually end up getting
- get settled into our hotel, then walk the main touristy area, checking out both the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, which both warrant more than one glimpse (Trevi Fountain is particularly cool to see in the evening/at night)
- Vatican City in the am for those who want to go - I've been twice so I'm on the fence, but it's really cool to see if you've never been before. I plan on going back to St Mark's square, at least, but may or may not pay for the inside tour of the Vatican.
- Walking tour of Rome! Hitting up cool important sites like the Colosseum, Castel Sant'Angelo, the Mouth of Truth, Piazza Navona, The Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain.
- Birthday/Bachelorette night with the bride!
- Roman ruins, possibly as a tour
- Take late morning/early afternoon from Rome to Siena
People going on the trip: Is there anything I've missed that's on your list for Rome?